Monday, February 13, 2023

Pedro Páramo

Hi everyone, this week’s reading was quite rushed for me (as I can imagine it was for others too) as we try to survive the midterm season.


Although I am not typically fond of gory themes, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Its central theme of "death," along with the constant reminder of life's transience and the inevitability of the end, was something that especially intrigued me. The book's numerous ghostly figures reflected this theme, while the peaceful and almost desirable portrayal of death served as a release from the struggles of life. This unique perspective on death forced me to contemplate my own views on mortality, including the associated fears and desires in its face. For me, the most memorable moment was when Doña predicted Preciado's arrival, a moment also highlighted in the lecture video. It was at this point that the main theme of the book, blurring the line between the living and the dead, really became obvious to me.


Besides, as someone who is constantly intrigued by the concept of power and its impacts on people, the reflection of power and its effects through Pedro Páramo’s character was another aspect that stood out to me. Throughout the book, we see how Pedro Páramo's immense power and influence over the people of Comala affected not only his own character, but the lives of those around him. The abuse of his power resulted in the town's decline and the death of many of its inhabitants. The book offered a stark reminder of the consequences of unchecked power, and the lasting impact it can have on individuals and communities. 


On a different note, knowing now the significant influence Ruflo had on Gracia Márquez, it makes me even more excited to read One Hundred Years of Solitude next week.The lecture's discussion about why Ruflo didn't gain as much recognition for his own writing was thought-provoking, particularly the notion of him being a "writer of transition."


If anything, having read this book, I now feel more motivated to give horror movies a try, despite not having watched one in years (I’m too scared lol).


Discussion question:

Which part of the book had the most significant impact on you?


Btw, good luck on midterms everyone! :)


5 comments:

  1. You are right, "Pedro Páramo" is also, among other things, a novel about power. And as Dr. Beasley-Murray said, there is a reference to the figure of the Sovereign. If we think about it a bit, the issue of power can be gory, don't you think? The life (and the after life) of the town has everything to do with that. Don't worry if you read this a bit rushy, you'll surely enjoy the novel if you give it a second chance later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chanya, your analysis intrigued me. I had not considered until after reading your post that I am not typically a fan of consuming any type of media related to death. I especially try to avoid reading novels surrounding the concept of death as the extra descriptive experience is not what I seek, as is seemingly for you as well. What made the difference for me was the non-linear progressions through the text and quick switches between narratives. Being distracted by the jumps in the story line and trying to make sense of it all is what kept my attention distracted from the prominent feature death plays.

    The most significant part of the book for me was right at the beginning - when the very abrupt transition occurred between Juan's lived experience in carrying out his mother's dying wish and then very quickly becomes embedded among the after life and such.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most significant part of the book, or at least what most intrigued me was learning more about Miguel Páramo. It was interesting to me that Pedro had a kind of allowance of love for him that was not extended to anyone else except Susana - which I think he loved more but still. Personally, I thought it had to do with something about the presence of a mother or a woman in Miguel's life. I don't think Pedro really enjoyed his upbringing with the women in his life and the only woman he truly loved didn't turn out. I would say that Pedro's parenting style (or lack thereof) with Miguel is another facet of his abuse of power, allowing him to do whatever he wants because that's what Pedro himself was 'missing' in his own childhood. In a way, Miguel seemed like a more raw, self-destructive version of Pedro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chanya!

    I really enjoyed reading your analysis. You bring up some really good points in terms of power and how the consequences of it can be felt for long periods of time, and in the case of Camala, eternity.

    I am also quite looking forward to reading the next book given that Garcia Márquez was influenced by Rulfo.

    The part of the book that had the most significant impact on me was the death of Pedro Páramo. It seemed almost anticlimactic to have someone of such power almost disintegrate into thin air and die a very bland death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chanya! I found your analysis on the spiritual and relaxing part of Pedro Paramo to be really interesting! I also found the way that Juan Rulfo portrays death to be a simple part of the natural process to be quite therapeutic in a way. I think the part where Juan Rulfo has the first conversation with the elderly lady when he first arrives in Comala to be quite impactful, as we really get a sense of what Pedro Paramo is about from this short scene.

    ReplyDelete

Conclusion

As an economics major who doesn't naturally gravitate towards literature, taking a Hispanic literature class was a new and somewhat daun...