Monday, April 10, 2023

Conclusion

As an economics major who doesn't naturally gravitate towards literature, taking a Hispanic literature class was a new and somewhat daunting experience for me. However, as I reflect on the semester, I can honestly say that it was a surprisingly enjoyable and enriching journey.

One of the things that made this class stand out for me was the grading system and learning style. It made the class less intimidating and more approachable, allowing me to engage with the material in a way that felt meaningful and relevant to my interests. The diverse collection of books we studied was also a highlight. Each novel explored different themes and topics, ranging from relationships to historical and societal dynamics, providing unique insights into Latin American culture and society.

At the beginning of the class, I'll admit I was initially skeptical of some of the unconventional narrative techniques used in the novels. However, as the weeks went by, I began to appreciate the depth and complexity of these narratives. It challenged me to think critically and approach the books from different angles, which ultimately enhanced my understanding and appreciation of the literature.

Although literature may not have be my favourite subject, this class has truly expanded my horizons and pushed me to think critically and engage with the subject in a whole new way. I'm genuinely grateful for the stimulating discussions and diverse perspectives that were brought to the table during the class discussions, as they added so much depth and richness to our exploration of Hispanic literature. This experience has been unique and rewarding, and I know I'll miss the dynamic interactions during class and on these blog posts

Lastly, thank you Jon and Daniel for making this experience so enriching. As someone with a rather low attention span who struggles to focus in class, even if I absolutely love the subject, I almost never had an issue staying engaged in this class (except on the occasional days when my allergies were giving me a tough time lol). Jon, you’re definitely one of the most engaging professors I’ve come across at UBC. And, Daniel, the lecture you facilitated was great - I can see you becoming a great professor one day. Your comments on our blog posts were always thought-provoking and added depth to our discussions. Thank you both for making this class such a memorable experience.


2 comments:

  1. I sincerely thank you for your kind words! With such good students like you, it is not difficult to participate in a class interaction in which we all feel heard and encouraged to share ideas. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your journey through Latin American Literature, and I thank you for giving us the opportunity to accompany you. Your blog posts allowed me to learn about interesting aspects of the texts, and it was very pleasant to read them. Personally, I love when students from other disciplines come so we can talk about their interests, collectively. We are waiting for you in other classes to continue with the discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chanya, I also enjoyed taking this class as a GRS major, and it has definitely reignited my joy of reading. Have a great summer and congrats on graduating this term!

    ReplyDelete

Conclusion

As an economics major who doesn't naturally gravitate towards literature, taking a Hispanic literature class was a new and somewhat daun...